15 July 2010

Les Doux Souvenirs de Grand Marnier

Grand Marnier.  A delightfully perky spirit with the sweet hints of orange balanced with the sharpness of cognac.

When I was younger, my father would enjoy sipping on his brandy or cognac in the winter months, whether it was at home in Pinole during chilly weekend evenings or up at our glorious cabin in Tahoe, playing Zolīte (the card game, not the cat) around the dining room table, making jokes about my mother always needing to stretch out (I think it was an excuse to go to sleep early) and listening to ABBA.  At the young, tender age of we'll say 15 (could've been 14, but we'll play safe here), brandies and cognacs were a bit too strong for me.  My initial reaction to them was "it tastes like cardboard...with a kick."  I have since primed my taste-buds to appreciate such apéritifs; however, back then, I needed a little sweetening to my beverages.  Alas, I was introduced to Grand Marnier.  Probably a bad idea, but oh man, did I enjoy sipping on Grand Marnier.  Not only did I feel cool with my little brandy sniffer taking appreciative sips like my Dad, the sweetness of the liqueur satisfied my sweet tooth and the sharpness (and alchohol level) of the cognac gave me that nice light, buzzed feeling of enjoying the moment.  So when I saw the latest commercial for Grand Marnier, a very 60s style cartoon with a backdrop of classic french music, it brought back some memories.



Ah, to feel so chic sipping on Grand Marnier!  Just saying it makes you sound a bit swankier.  I definitely appreciate the vintage feel of this commercial.  It honestly made me think, "Hmm, I haven't had Grand Marnier in a while...and it is tasty...and it does have that Parisian nose in the air appeal."  I haven't gone out an purchased it yet (the $20+ for a fifth price tag is a bit daunting); however, if it was offered to me, I wouldn't turn it down because I would like to think that I'm wearing a chic black cocktail dress with a fabulous party hat and a cigarette stick recalling those memories from my youth, enjoying this fantastically satisfying spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something now!